Friday, May 17, 2013

Habibi's Cafe & Market

It's kind of easy to get tired of routine, even something as intensely comforting as a lunch routine. I've probably spent too much of my time scouring the internet for local lunch choices that don't immediately make themselves obvious as an option when you're plucking things off the top of your head that you might want to eat.

Enter Habibi's Cafe & Market. Habibi's is a Lebanese joint right around the corner from where I work and I figured something with a Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern flavor would be a welcome departure from the norm. A departure it totally was.

Let's jump into some Falafel and Gyros, shall we?

Upon entering the Cafe, it's evident Habibi's is not a very large place. A long counter separating the kitchen from the dining area dominates the room, but they make good use of the remainder of their space, somehow managing to fit plenty of spacious tables that can seat more than you'd expect from a restaurant of this size.

Orders are placed at the counter from a very small and simple menu, after which diners may seat themselves and have their food brought to them when it's ready. The small menu is a smart choice - the average American diner probably "don't know from" Mediterranean and Middle-Eastern cuisine. Fewer options means less scared diners. Courageous diners don't wind up with option paralysis.

At any rate, I ordered the Falafel plate while my girlfriend ordered the Gyro. We also decided on a hummus appetizer. Soft drink and juice options come in bottles. Ice fans out there will be sorely disappointed, I guess. But also, why are you an ice fan? I mean I get that it makes drinks colder, but having a level of devotion to really cold water to the point of being a fan is...

I'm getting sidetracked almost as bad as I got distracted by the rotating spit of lamb meat visible behind the counter. I started to regret my decision to not get the gyro, but I was on a mission where obtaining chickpea foodstuffs was of the utmost importance. The hummus and falafel would do nicely.

All of our food arrived at the same time instead of the appetizer coming out first. This seems to bother a bunch of people in general, but I really couldn't care less. I'm a simple beast and when it looks like there's more food on the table, the reptile part of my brain gets stroked in a way that satisfies at least 60% of all cave-man based urges.

I'm a total amateur and WAS totally hungry so I forgot to take pictures. TAKE IT EASY, MAN. I'll make up for it someday. In the meantime, use google or something, it's great.

The hummus came in copious supply and was accompanied by two large pitas. The tahini component of the dish stole the show in contrast to most of the hummus I've had in the Myrtle Beach area which instead tends toward the tart and acidic. I don't necessarily prefer one style over the other, but I REALLY enjoyed this hummus.

The falafel MAY have been a touch overpriced, but it was still delicious and the tahini dipping sauce was awesome - very crisp and bright. Despite being a fried foodstuff, I didn't feel too full or bloated. Girlfriend said her gyro was pretty great, though if she had to nitpick (which is sort of encouraged), she thought the distribution of the contents of her gyro was unbalanced leading to a sub-optimal eating experience. A minor quibble, and one that in no way represents an overall negative opinion of the food here.

So! That pretty much covers the Cafe side of things, but what's with the Market bit in Habibi's name? Well, the kitchen and dining room are quite literally half of a whole. Attached is a market of identical size that stocks a massive variety and selection of ingredients and foods from the Mediterranean region.

Now I'm pretty sure I haven't used the word baller yet. Don't think I forgot. If you only make the trip to Habibi's for ONE THING, come over to the Market side of the Cafe/Market. The Market is usually staffed by an awesome older gentleman who will try to sell you and sell you hard on a dessert in a several glass cases called Halva. Absolutely give in and purchase some.

For the uninitiated, Halva, as described by Habibi's Master of the Halva, is like a Middle-Eastern version of fudge that is no where near as universally awful for you as fudge is. It's an airy, solid, crumbly dessert made from tahini paste - an incredibly versatile substance - and oftentimes festooned with nuts like pistachios. There's also a plain variety on tap here as well as a chocolate swirl. Totally. Baller.

So there you have it. Habibi's Cafe, Market, and Halva Emporium is pretty much a must visit - particularly if you're looking for something different in your dining experience. I know that at the very least, you'll never look at sesame seeds the same way ever again.

Habibi's Cafe & Market
3310 Waccamaw Boulevard
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
(843)236-0150

No comments:

Post a Comment