Monday, June 10, 2013

Loco Gecko!

"Heed all advice given by coconut monkey cups." - a real sentence

Lunch has always been my favorite meal of the day. Bring on the fat jokes, suckers - the journey has been delicious, fun, and totally worth it. Since I started this blog which has forced me out to new places to eat, lunch is now like...approximately 25% more radical than it ever has been. THINGS ARE LOOKING UP.

The latest lunch adventure? Loco Gecko in Myrtle Beach. Baller or Not Baller? Well, I guess you'll have to read past the jump to find out, lazy-bones.


Loco Gecko is a bar and grill type combo located pretty much on the ocean. Don't believe me?

You know I can't lie to you.

Boom, suckers. See that big thing in the background called a horizon but it looks grey instead of blue because I'm terrible at taking pictures? Totally ocean. Anyway, the above picture was the view from where we were sitting. The sun was shining and the breeze was blowing. It was a perfect day and we were in a perfect location.

Our super friendly waitress took our orders and before too long, my girlfriend was the first of us to be rewarded for our lunch time decision-making prowess - with a Margolada which is what I'm calling the Margarita/Pina Colada that knocked her socks off and is pictured below.

Weekday lunches gettin' done right, son.

What should come as a surprise to no one? The second item brought to the table just so happened to be our ultimate not-so-secret vice - fried pickles.

Americans don't eat enough fruit and veggies? MYTH BUSTED

Here's where I can get into more detail because these little darlings were extraordinary. Like, take whatever you know about the ordinary and then add EXTRA. Presumably not extra ORDINARY but extra something special ON TOP OF ordinary. You know what? Extraordinary doesn't make nearly as much sense as it should. ANYWAY - the breading on these guys was thick, but not in a way that made you feel like you were eating a greasy pickle sandwich. Subtly seasoned, the coating avoided the common pitfall of trying to overshadow the pickled goodness hidden inside and allowed the tart vinegar burst of the pickles themselves to speak for the appetizer. We got some pickle appreciatists up in here.

So the apps are done...that means It's Burger Time, fool! Behold!



Alright, so this is the Holy Smokes burger and comes with a generous amount of applewood-smoked bacon happily mingling with jalapenos and cheddar jack. It's a simple thing - not too many ingredients warring over top billing and sometimes, that's for the best. Each element shines and packs a flavor punch. If I have one gripe that rears its ugly head more than most when I go out for burgers is that in the rare occasion your server actually asks how you want your burger done, it more often than not serves as a cruel trick where no matter what you say, you still get something cooked well done.

In this particular case, I ordered my burger cooked medium and, wonder of wonders, I got a medium-cooked burger. Naturally, this was the best day of my life.*

My conclusion? Loco Gecko is a TOTALLY Baller Shak-by-the-sea. It's not the cheapest place around - my burger cost $8.79 - but it's not so exorbitant as to destroy your wallet. Make no mistake - the price is worth it and this is a place you should go. Stare at the address below, wait 'til you get hungry, then go to the Gecko.

*This is largely due to the fact that I lack perspective and have a short memory. Also, my burger was pretty good.

Loco Gecko Beach Shak
805 South Ocean Boulevard
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(843)448-6800

No comments:

Post a Comment